Monday, March 10, 2014

Oils, oils, oils

Left to right: Cold-pressed virgin olive oil, cold-pressed virgin castor oil, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, moroccan argan oil, josie maran argan oil light and normal.
      I used to run away from anything that was oily; especially when it came to my face. Being the grease monster I am, I used harsh cleansers and oil-free moisturizers in hopes of combating my oily skin. Little did I know that in response to all that "good" I thought I was doing, I perpetuated the oil making process! In 2013 I discovered Argan oil and since then I've been an advocate for it.

Go oil! :) Here are a few of my favourite oils and how I use them!

     Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil: I am in LOVE with this oil. Just a couple drops of this after I cleanse my skin (night and day) and my skin is instantly moisturized. I use it interchangeably with coconut oil, but since I've got the Argan oil, I use it. The only downside? The price tag. The Josie Maran oil costs $58 dollars for 1.7oz. Quite pricey, but it was a great oil to start off with. My skin slowly started developing somewhat less oil (I'm still oil prone), and I noticed less dry patches.

     Coconut oil: I use this for everything! It's solid at room temperature (easy storage - zero spills!) but heats up quickly on your fingertips. I moisturize my face with it but I mostly use it on my body. Arms, legs, hands, feet, elbows (I know y'all have ashy elbows too)...so many uses! This giant jar was about $20 CAD at Goodness Me! my local organic grocery store. Just make sure your oil is cold-pressed and virgin! When they process it with heat you lose a lot of nutritional quality.
Side note: you can also cook with this oil as a healthy alternative!

      Olive Oil: I mostly use this in combination with my castor oil to make a deep oil cleanse. It removes all make up and helps keep your skin looking dewy and moisturized. To make the concoction I mix about 2 parts olive oil to 1 part castor oil. I will rub this on my face (makeup and all) then place a steamed towel over my face for about a minute. I'll take the towel and wipe off any excess oil but that's it. The theory behind this crazy idea? Like dissolves like. It does work! I just don't do this very often. Probably only about once every 2 or 3 weeks.

     Castor Oil: I can confidently say that Castor oil is the reason my lashes have grown longer and fuller! Again, make sure it's cold-pressed and virgin. I brush this oil on my lashes nightly with a sanitized mascara brush. I make sure I get the roots of the lashes and top and bottom. You definitely have to use this for about a month before you see visible results. This castor oil helps rejuvenate and moisturize my lashes after I remove waterproof mascara. I also see less lash fall out!
Part of my birthday gift from Jessica, thanks girl! :)
    Moroccan Argan Oil: For the days I'm lazy and don't condition my hair, I throw this oil onto the ends and work it to the roots to smooth out the frizz. I also use this to protect against heat styling or afterward to give my hair a shiny boost.

There you go, my friends! Lesson of the day? Don't be scared of oils. Embrace them. Love them. Use them.

Thanks for tuning in!

Love,

jane

Follow me on BlogLovin' :)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment